Thursday 21 January 2010

Exercise – making marks

Still on the subject of making marks, this time using marks to build up form.

I drew a grid of 5cm squares and used different implements in each to imply form.

I discovered that I have a natural tendency towards a very unstructured variation of cross hatching, and this works well with a biro or a fine pen such as the Pilot Drawing pen. I found the dip pen a bit more restrictive due to the natural ‘direction’ of the nib and the limitations this imposes.

I also experimented using unstructured scribbled lines to build up shadow, and I liked this look. It reminded me of pen and ink illustrations in some children’s books that I have seen, and I have taken a note to explore this as a source of material for learning / inspiration.

I used a very soft pencil (6B) to build up a ‘wash’ of graduated tones which was quite successful and is something I intend to practice.

I did use charcoal in this exercise but found the 5cm box a little restrictive given its nature. I resisted the temptation to ‘smudge’ it into lighter grey colours to give form as the notes suggested that  this is a technique to avoid.

I used coloured pencils, in layers, to suggest shapes and forms, and enjoyed this. I noticed the different results to be gained from using a very sharp pencil as opposed to a pencil blunted through normal use. The sharp pencil gave more of a ‘cross hatching’ appearance, whereas the blunter pencil gave more of a ‘wash’. My coloured pencils (prismacolour) seem quite soft and waxy compared to other pencils I have used in the past (e.g. WH Smiths’  own make) and the results were correspondingly softer.

Once again, I felt perhaps most comfortable when using a biro or a pen. I wonder if this stems from having mainly produced doodles in the past and I have taken a note to continue practising with other implements to address this!

No comments:

Post a Comment